This system is superior to other technologies because it uses the air to
ones advantage, as opposed to trying to deflect and avoid the air. In
motion, air movement is inevitable. The system, rather than trying to avoid
the effects of the air, harnesses the air and uses it, much unlike trailer
The SmartTruck Undertray System has many advantages over trailer
side-skirts, which are currently the only option available to Canadian
- Trailer side skirts restrict the natural flow of air over a
vehicle in motion. This also means that the dissipation of heat is also
reduced on vehicle components. There are reports indicating that fires may
have been caused due to increased heat on tires and brakes because of air
flow being directed away from them by the side-skirts.
- Tire manufacturers are testing for heat related premature tire wear due to
the restriction of airflow on tires from the usage of side-skirts. They are
testing to confirm that the increased heat, resulting from the air flow
reduction, reduces tire longevity.
- A trailer that is retrofitted with the Undertray System is intermodal
friendly, whereas skirted trailers cannot be loaded onto rail cars.
- Trailer skirts cause limited accessibility to many locations because of
their low ground clearance, whereas the Undertray System does not.
- The Undertray System is less obstructive to mechanics and drivers than
side-skirts. Side-skirts cause for the limitation of access to the trailer
undercarriage for maintenance and inspection of air lines, wiring, and
- Trailer side-skirts, through the nature of air turbulence will loosen.
Unless tightened down regularly and consistently, it can become extremely
hazardous in the instance of detachment. In the case of an accident a loose
skirt becoming detached could be catastrophic, whereas the stability of the
Undertray System leaves for no such danger.
- Because trailer side-skirts enclose the underside of the trailer, there is
limited access for the proper cleaning of the undercarriage and mechanical,
electrical, and safety components on the trailer underside. Skirts limit the
natural air flow caused by being in motion, and air trapped underneath the
trailer causes an increase in the accumulation of water, salt and other
damaging elements in the transportation environment.
- The Undertray System takes less time to install than trailer side-skirt
systems. The downtime for a trailer being fitted with the Undertray System
is 2 1/2 hours as opposed to an average of 10-12 hours for side-skirt
installation. The average shop labour rate is $90/hr. This amounts to a
potential savings of up to $855 per trailer.
- The Undertray System is not only effective and practical, but is also
aesthetically pleasing. The appearance of the trailer side-skirts
drastically changes the appearance of the traditional semi tractor-trailer
combinations, whereas the Undertray System if anything enhances it. It is
not uncommon in the industry to hear the opinions of traders, executives and
owner-operators being unfavourable in regard to the appearance of trailer